Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Warm Days and Walks


After Spring break, second term classes started and things started to become extremely hectic (especially for us lazy college kids who wanted to enjoy Certaldo's gorgeous weather).


All I can remember from the past two weeks is waking up a half hour earlier than last term, being stressed about finishing projects, wanting class to be outside almost everyday, being frustrated with enameling, loving walks down to Basso in the afternoon/walks to the hilly park, naps on the hills, visitors, picnicking in the rain, learning more about Certaldo, learning that Certaldo is a magically invisible kingdom, HOUSE, Florence/museums/shopping/hot/familiarity/freedom, draught, pancakes, Mexican, Easter cakes, three-day weekends, and constantly thinking of how I should be working on projects instead of ___.  Ok, so that's a lot wider range than I thought, but it's been a blur of amazingness. I'll break it down as chronologically as I can:


The first week back was work...lay in the sun...work...lay in the sun. I truly enjoyed that week even though I was slightly stressed about all of the new projects and the fact that we only had a month and a half left.  Also, Marissa's brothers and older brother's girlfriend came to visit so it was great meeting them and hanging out for a while. OH! How could I forget?? I finally went STARGAZING with some people on the hills in Certaldo!!! It was amazing and I can't wait to go again.  It was also registration week so I was able to sign up for classes and ended up getting all the classes I needed. Pressure off.  PLUS....WE GOT A HOUSE (duplex) !!!!!!!! Caitlin, Brooke, and I decided to live with each other next year and we had been searching for a place for a while and it finally happened! So happy. Now to sublease my other apartment...


The first weekend back we went to Florence from Friday to Saturday and finally went to the Uffizi museum and the Accademia (where Michelangelo's famous David sculpture is).  Unfortunately, I was airheaded and forgot my camera entirely.  We saw so many gorgeous sights that we hadn't seen before and walked A MILLION stairs up to this church on the other side of Florence to watch the sunset.  It was an amazing weekend and I tried my hardness not to dwell on how ridiculous I was for forgetting my camera.  It was a freeing and trapped feeling all at once. But it didn't bring the trip down!


Sunday, March 25: Picnic with Alfred! 
we saw this car run off the road on our way to eat...we made up a lot of fun stories as to why it was there and no people were in it
Alfred took Marissa, Charlotte, Emily, Paige and I to a little shaded area off the road where we could picnic with a view.  






It sprinkled on and off while we ate and then as soon as we moved directly under the giant trees is poured! This was actually a really good thing, though because Certaldo was in the middle of a draught and in desperate need of wetness. 



We left after the rain stopped and grabbed an espresso or cappuccino at a nearby cafe before heading to an old farm/olive oil factory/vineyard. 




It was so amazing and intriguing.  I would happily move here permanently and become a farmer. Also, there were horses and sheep and cats and chickens all about. 









Then we saw a giant rotting, but amazing oak out past the vineyard.  Such a wonderful day of new explorations and getting out in Tuscany a little more. 




 
drying prosciutto 


another giant tree

Second week: lots of work and sun bathing and work and sun bathing... It truly is amazing to be just sit in the studio courtyard and soak up the sun in between classes (or even during class).  Photography started this term and things are going well with that, but my favorite part about the class is that we randomly get to go out during class and photograph different things/practice the new things Jim (our instructor) has taught us. 


gelato truck in Alto!
Wild hare pasta...yum
All week basically consisted of work, walking, and sun. Great week. 


This past weekend we had a three day weekend and instead of traveling I decided to stay in Certaldo, get some work done, and relax.  Except on Friday when Caitlin, Emily, and I went to Florence to grab some gifts and run some errands. 


delicious pizza with spicy salami, potatoes, and mozzarella
It was a nice leisure day without having to worry about being back home at a certain time.  Saturday I made pancakes in the morning for my roomies and worked almost all day until that night when we made delicious Mexican tacos and feasted in happiness without any mention of Italian food.  Then that night Caitlin, Marissa, and I made cookies but we didn't have vanilla so we just hoped for the best. 





They were actually pretty great.  





Sunday I worked more and...did some photography homework. 


Italian Easter cake! (or at least I think it's only Italian...)

So far this week has been gloomy with gray skies and rainy weather, but I guess it can't be beautiful all day everyday. 


Now it's time to catch up with all of my communication and work a ton more on projects. 


I'm predicting that April showers will mean lots of gray days and longing for naps.

No comments:

Post a Comment